Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Zambrano T-Shirt



Okay guys and gals, I found this t-shirt being advertised on "Busted Coverage", a blog that endorses "Booze, Ladies & Football". We were talking today in class about racism in sports and I personally believe there is NO room for it whatsoever. I understand shirts that say such things as "Cubs Suck" or "Cardinals Take It In Their Pujols", etc, etc, etc...It is fun and games, right? But when I saw this I was nearly shocked! What idiot would wear this to a game?

I want your opinion on this. Let er' rip!

1 comment:

  1. I don't like it at all. Even if I weren't a Cubs fan I'd find that apalling. That's a direct attack on Zambrano's status as a native-born Venezuelan, marginalizing his race.

    I agree that it's ok for a t-shirt to say that a certain team sucks. I'm all for playful humor, but making fun of one's race doesn't fly. Minorities are already discriminated against enough our country.

    I thought some of the ways Cubs fans have "honored" Kosuke Fukudome have been offensive as well. The head bands that were so prevalent last year seemed to be mocking Fukudome and his race as well. It's these sorts of things that tell us that our society has a lot of room for progress in regards to racial equality.

    ReplyDelete